Sometimes you just love something, and you may not even be able to explain why. You just know it’s right for you; it is your absolute favorite! Other people may disagree, and they may even try to convince you to change your mind about it. But, you stick with it; it works for you and you are not giving it up, not even for something newer, fancier, or more advanced.
Well, I have my favorites, too. I could change, but I’m not going to. I have tried other products and brands, but these are the ones that I love and I plan to stick with them! So, I am going to give you my top seven. Why seven? Well, that is my favorite number. And, yes, I do have a reason behind that being my favorite number. My birthday is on the 7th, my husband’s birthday is on the 7th, we met on the 7th, and got married on the 7th. It may seem silly, but that is how seven became my favorite number. And, of course, I do have more than seven favorite hunting items, but many of those depend on the season and weather. So, this list is my seven must haves for every single archery hunt, and I will do my best to tell you why!
- Mathews Z7 Xtreme – This is one of those products that is hard to explain. I can tell you that it was not a bow that I had planned on buying or had any interest in. But, then I attended a hunting expo and I visited the Shoot Like a Girl booth where I had the opportunity to try out a wide variety of bows and bow manufacturers. For me, it wasn’t about a name or brand; it was just about finding a bow that worked for me. And, the Mathews Z7 Xtreme just felt right; it was the one I kept going back to. Also, let’s not forget, Mathews is a proven manufacturer of high-quality bows. The Z7 Xtreme is the perfect bow for me, and I have no desire to change!
- Carbon Express Mayhem Hot Pursuit Arrows – First of all, I believe the quality of Carbon Express arrows can’t be beat. I have been using these arrows for several years now and they have never let me down! Not only do they fly great, they are strong. And, the Mayhem Hot Pursuit arrows give me that little feminine touch without going overboard. I have tried other brands, but the Carbon Express Mayhem Hot Pursuit is the arrow for me; it is more than just a good looking arrow, it is quality at it’s best!
- Muzzy 3-Blade Broadhead – So, this is the one that a lot of you may disagree with, but the Muzzy 3-blade broadhead is the only one I will use. While expandable broadheads are popular these days, I just have no interest in them. I have tried them in the past and I realize they have come a long ways since I last used them, but they’re still not for me. I have never had a Muzzy fail me; I don’t have to worry about mechanical failure. I know my Muzzy is going to do the job every single time. My philosophy when it comes to my Muzzy 3-blade broadheads, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” And, my Muzzy broadheads definitely ain’t broke!!
- Quality Archery Designs HDX Drop-Away Arrow Rest – So, this is one of the products I did switch to. I formerly used a Whisker Biscuit rest, and I really had no complaints with it, but my husband had switched to the HDX after a recommendation from a friend and he really loved it. So, soon after, I followed suit and switched to the HDX Drop-Away rest, and I will never switch back. What do I love so much about my HDX? Simple, it drops away and cannot interfere with the release and flight of my arrow.
- T.R.U. Ball Caliper Release – While I have an older model that is no longer available, it is very similar to the newer T.R.U. Ball Stinger Caliper Release. What I love about this release is that it is adjustable, and most importantly, it is comfortable! I prefer a release that attaches to the wrist via a velcro strap; I never have to worry about dropping my release or losing it. And, again I tried out other brands, but this is the one that just seemed to fit me best.
- Bushnell Scout DX 1000 Range Finder – A range finder is a must have for archery hunting! And, what I love most about this particular range finder is the ARC feature. ARC stands for Angle Range Compensation; this feature uses an inclinometer to determine terrain angles that provide bow hunters with the ”shoots like” distance. This range finder also has a 6X zoom, so this eliminates the need to carry a pair of binoculars; I just simply use my Bushnell Scout DX 1000 ARC range finder to identify objects. This product is light, powerful, and a must have!
- UltraFire 7w 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp– Okay, so just what is it about this light that I love? Well, absolutely everything! It is small, lightweight, and oh so bright! And, let’s not forget cheap, so if you lose it, you’re only out a few bucks. I have tried a lot of those other expensive lights that claim to be the best and the brightest, but in the end, I felt like I was just paying for the name. The CREE UltraFire Mini Flashlight, in my opinion, is just unbeatable! Another great feature of this light is the fact that it can run on a AA battery instead of expensive lithium batteries. This is one flashlight that you just have to try; with a price tag under $4, you just can’t go wrong!